About Us Elmwood University
Elmwood University Classes
Do you want to learn about Memphis history? Attend Elmwood University and get to know Memphis’ oldest active cemetery while you uncover a wealth of knowledge about the individuals who helped shape a small river town into a modern metropolis. Two colleges within Elmwood University will train students (like you!) to deliver history-based tours or to preserve some of Elmwood’s oldest monuments.
Elmwood is known for its large collection of Victorian funerary art. Students enrolling in Stone College will be trained to assist in the preservation of Elmwood’s oldest and most fragile monuments. This workshop will focus on cleaning, leveling and restoring monuments. Graduates of this three hour workshop will be invited to participate in scheduled monument cleanings and restoration events throughout the year.
To enroll in Stone College, the following requirements should be met:
- Wear comfortable clothing that you do not mind getting very dirty
- Bring your own gardening gloves, a hand trowel, and a small or medium sized shovel
- You should be able to move or lift 40 pounds, shovel clay dirt, stoop and bend for more than 30 minutes
- You should be able to tolerate varying weather conditions
- You should be willing to follow instructions carefully
More than 5,000 area students tour the cemetery each year. Students of Ambassador College will be trained to give these tours! Graduates of this college will be invited to participate in a variety of special events happening at Elmwood.
Students of Ambassador College should met the following requirements before enrolling:
- You should be able to stand and walk for two hours at a time
- Tours take place on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, usually in the morning. Availability during those hours is suggested
- You should be able to walk on uneven terrain
- You should be tolerant of varying weather conditions
- You should be able to speak clearly and loudly and be willing to use a headset-style microphone device to project your voice
Tuition to attend Elmwood University is $25 per person; space is reserved in class once tuition is received.
Please call Elmwood at 901-774-3212 to register for class today. Or if you'd like to enroll online, visit http://www.elmwoodcemetery.org/events.