About Us The Phillips Cottage
The Cottage, which serves as the Visitor Center and office, was built in 1866, and a parlor, brick vault and front porch were added in 1902. The Cottage is the only known example of Victorian Carpenter Gothic architecture in Memphis.
The Phillips Cottage was entered on the National Register of Historic Places as project number #02000233 on May 22, 1978.
In 1998, an east wing for business offices was added by the Crawford Howard Family Foundation. The Cottage has come to symbolize Elmwood to its families and visitors.